When we hear "food allergy" we think of someone who has a severe, life-threatening reaction to a food intolerance, like peanuts. What most of us don't realize is that an allergy is anything that your body can not digest.
5 Symptoms Associated With Food Allergies
1) Gas/Bloating: caused by incomplete digestion
2) Difficultly Loosing Weight: Food intolerance activates your immune system which causes stress to the body. In turn this increases cortisol. Prolonged cortisol produces belly fat.
3) Fatigue: food is fuel. Fuel is energy. If you aren't digesting your food, how can you derive energy from it. Plus, your body is using it's energy stores trying to digest.
4) Post Nasal Drip: I bet you didn't guess that one. This is caused by immune activation of the gut. This activation causes release in histamine production which increases vascular permeability that causes post nasal drip. This might be the cause of your child's constant runny nose.
5) Joint Aches and Eczema: This is also caused by the activation of the immune system in the gut. If you digest a common food allergy - like milk - the protein in milk, casein causes the immune system to send an anitbody to deal with the indigestible substance. The antibody-antigen complex will rid the body of the harmful substance by taking it to the liver to be detoxified then eliminated. What happens when you indulge in too much milk - your liver can't keep up. So this complex will stay in the blood stream and accumulate where there is a decrease in blood flow ie. joints and skin. These complexes act as irritants to the immune system and will cause localized immune responses in the skin (eczema) and joints (rheumatoid arthritis).
What You Can Do About It
Notice a pattern here? Food intolerance activates the immune system in the gut! This is exactly how we can test for food intolerance. Contact a Doctor that can test to see if you immune system is in over drive. Most Doctors will test for food allergy by ordering IgE (immune system antibody). IgE is activated when there is immediate reaction - like a life-threatening peanut allergy. What most Doctors fail to test for is IgG, this is a delayed immune response that is activated when the food is a threat and needs to be eliminated. Even though IgG is a delayed reaction, chronic activation of the immune response to a foreign substance (food allergy) can cause harm to your body. When your immune system is in constant state of activation, your body is stressed out, unable to derive nutrients from foods, and is having a hard time replenishing lost energy stores.
If you or a loved one is trying to figure out where your/their symptoms are coming from. Consider food as a source. It might be beneficial to try a liver detox program in order to help purify the liver, blood, and intestines. Leaving your body happy, healthy, and back on track with more important tasks.
Dr. T's Health Tips
Click here to get Your personalized Nutritional Consultation
Every day is another chance to turn it all around.